Saturday, July 30, 2011

Lessons ReLearned: What I "re"learned in Price, Utah

But first----some pictures of the adventures...unfortunately some of the pictures that I took weren't so great....so I had to find and use some other ones......But mainly just for the point




It really was a fun time all around. Kind of a 'small-ish' town.

Really such a pretty place when ya think about it--- Ya got your burnt orange, red, brown mountains and then a lush green valley right smack dab in the middle.

It's almost a split between Greek Orthodox (they had a Greek Days Festival one of the weekends that I was there) - LDS - and Baptist religions....LDS really being more of a minority (which in Utah--is a rare find indeed...probably the only place that you don't see LDS churches everywhere)

They do a lot of Mining around the area.

There is indeed a college in town.

The big thing around there is Dinosaurs...if you couldn't tell from the cop car C; There is a pretty cool Musuem in the middle of town as well as a Fossil Quarry on the outside of town.

Groggs is THE best place to go eat.... just take my word for it.

The second picture---there's this Italian Restaurant that most people absolutely raved about, so I tried to get over there to eat. But seriously I think I only saw the "Open" sign up once. ONCE! and it was a time that I wasn't able to go in. How sad!

Isn't that J.C Penney so cute looking????

One of the things that I found a bit interesting--- the store that I was working at was in a strip mall-ish area... that also had a Smith's. The whole area shared a big parking lot. Anyway- every night that I closed I would look out the window and see all these tons of cars in the parking lot---and a bunch of teenagers hanging around.
In the Parking Lot ????
Poor things had nothing else to do.
One of the girls that I worked with down there who was actually from the area filled me in on what was really going on...
APPARENTLY-- The Smiths parking lot was a big huge meeting place where they would all decide where the hot destination was to be for the night...
so APPARENTLY they had places to go---they just all needed to congregate beforehand.

Two Movie theaters in the town- 2 movies between them....they each only played one movie---Coincidently the same movie most of the time.





But also-----








A very humbling experience.... Coming from a job where I knew EVERYTHING and jumping into a job where I know NOTHING. I had to pull myself back a bit from the building frustration and remember that at my previous jobs...it took me a minute to learn everything there too. I started out at the bottom and worked my way up everytime. I remember on one particular night after a bit of a rough day--sitting alone in my hotel room. Thinking and stressing about everything that went on during the day- I found myself feeling pretty low and my confidence was completely shot if not totally non-existant. It was late and I was exhausted--physically and emotionally. I was starting to miss being home...I was completely drained... completely alone all by myself.

As I'm sitting there-I pulled out my scriptures. I started over with the Book of Mormon and at the time I was in first Nephi....which I'm sure I've read a Skillion times... but this particular night a very 'old' and 'familiar' story came and hit me in suddenly a new way.

When Nephi broke his bow..... totally have read this story so many times and ya gotta wonder why I never picked up on this before.

After his bow had broken-they were unable to get food for their families while they were in the wilderness....and of course this made everyone mighty awnry and they began to murmur against both Nephi and the Lord. They had left the comfort and luxury of their home in Jerusalem. They were all out there alone in the desert-without food...they could have easily died. I can see how things could've been a bit overwhelming...

Catching the hints yet?

So as I'm sitting there reading through this story--- I was 're-Learned' this.

Nephi never once looked to the Lord with a "Pity-Party" attitude. Never Complaining. Always the "Can-Do" attitude.

What does he do??? He Builds A Better Bow! One that probably wouldn't break or loose it's spring.

What I really took from this little experience is this...

Things can always be fixed. Things will always get better. I never have to feel alone. Comfort is always right there waiting for me when I need it.

I can honestly say that my time in Price, Utah was not a waste....if nothing else-I Learned that.

No comments:

Post a Comment